Success has a thousand fathers, while failure is an orphan
Any battle-hardened individual will talk about
the darkness before the dawn—those make-or-break moments when they could have
quit but held on with stunning success. Here are nine ways to stay optimistic
when your life hits a speed bump.
1.
Know that you’re probably about to succeed.
Years ago, I read this Chinese saying, “The temptation to give
up is the greatest right before you’re about to succeed.”
There’s something magical about the saying. I don’t know if
something deep in our subconscious mind realizes we’re about to succeed. But
the 11th hour is when the pressure builds and things seem to go
wrong; once you hit midnight, things start to go well.
2. Keep a calm head.
I’ve had many dark moments over the years; everyone has. The key
is understanding these are essential for building yourself or something significant,
like a business.
Nothing grows without a make-or-break moment. Understanding
that challenges are part of growth gives you the calmness to handle
what might normally be a very stressful time. When problems arise, assemble
your dream team of experts to look at the problem and work together to find a
solution.
3. Weather the storm.
I’ve experienced many failures, including once being $750,000 in
debt.
- First, realize that “this too shall pass.” The tides
will rise eventually.
- Then surround yourself with
friends, mentors, coaches and people who tell you how it is. Be open
to criticism; it’s the only way to develop.
- Build your emotional immune system.
Get used to extreme highs and lows. Don’t freak out during a “low low” or
overcompensate (i.e. party like it’s Friday) during a “high high.”
- Finally, don’t take yourself
seriously. Always ask: “Are you doing something to impact and serve others
or serve your own emotions and ego?” It’s harder to quit when people are
counting on you.
4. Get over the fear.
Everyone has moments of doubt, fear and anxiety that are usually
associated with a big decision: Do
I keep going? What I’m doing isn’t working. What if I quit? These
questions and feelings are par for the course.
Having built two successful companies in highly competitive
markets, I’ve been there more than once. But these three questions have helped
me and countless others:
What’s the worst-case scenario if X happens?
- What’s
the most likely scenario if I do X?
- What’s
the best-case scenario if I do X?
By answering these questions, you quickly understand the
“worst-case” scenario (usually death) is highly unlikely. And if the worst case
is starting over, know that sometimes you need to fail a few times before
you succeed. The most likely scenario is usually the one you have to accept. If
you can accept it, take action.
5. Crunch your
numbers.
When things start going south, detach emotionally. For
example, if you’re struggling financially, examine your finances like a
cold assassin.
My company needs $230,000 to $250,000 weekly revenue to break
even. If revenue drops or we hit an unexpectedly slow patch, I have a worksheet
of things I can cut immediately and additionally over 30 days—consultants,
marketing, travel and trade shows, for example.
Soon you’ll realize something: In every crisis, there’s
opportunity. Keep your eyes peeled on the positives you can control.
Maybe there’s a benefit you can leverage to your advantage; for example, a
client might owe you thousands in unpaid invoices but leave you with people or
inventory to work with.
There’s a lesson in growth to be found amidst all the
number-crunching. Use that lesson to move yourself to the next level.
6. Communicate.
Being a cheerleader during thriving times is easy.
But staying optimistic and finding small wins to celebrate during
struggling periods is both vital and valuable.
Don’t pretend everything is fine. People are smart. They know
when you’re not winning. In my business, we communicate strategy and team goals
more than ever during tough times—holding
a monthly company-wide meeting, for example. We celebrate small wins along the
way and take ownership of mistakes. Finally, expect the old saying to be true:
“Success has a thousand fathers, while failure is an orphan.”
7. Put things into
perspective.
Seventy-one percent of the world's population
lives on less than $10 a day. When I consider facts like this, it provides
perspective and allows me to appreciate the challenges before me with a sense
of gratitude. This levity and thankfulness has a way of leading me to
empowering outcomes and solutions.
8. Use grace under
pressure.
At a crossroads in life, I invested in some very expensive
mastermind training. I knew that I had to either grow or go into debt,
but if I was willing to do more than the guy next to me, I could make it.
With a young family depending on me, I knew it was a make-or-break moment and
that I had to make it, despite the risk. Having that accountability made
quitting not an option—the
stakes were too high.
When you have to jump into the unknown, you tend to make it. The
people who don’t make it usually fail because they’ve got too much of a safety
net.
9. Stay true to the
vision.
Undeniable certainty in your vision and purpose is the only way
you will break through those difficult, overwhelming, desperate times.
If what you see for
yourself is stronger than what’s really happening out there (the outer vision),
you’ll succeed. If what you say to
yourself is stronger than what people are saying about you (the outer
voices), you’ll overcome the difficult times.
No comments:
Post a Comment